Sunday, March 13, 2011

tasty tooth powder, part two!

"and what, exactly, does tooth powder have to do with me? i'd rather hear about something funny. after all, i gave birth to you --- so i must have a pretty good sense of humor!" -- oh dear mom

well! after i recovered from the hysteria induced by sipping from your boundless fount of wit, i decided to take your question seriously. and really, dear mom. this one is easily resolved. i'll do it in two neat steps:

1. if it has to do with me, it has to do with you.
2. see number one.

i do hope this is the last time we have to have this talk.

so last week, American folk hero Erin Gleeson testified as to the awesome powers of baking soda on teeth.  her spot-on suggestion to put a drop of essential oil directly on the toothbrush got me thinking about my own routine.

i always follow up my baking soda brushing sessions with a homemade mouthwash. it gives me a tingly feeling. like when you used to give me a  'good smack in the mouth', but more minty.

how to make the mouthwash, you ask?
  • Bring two cups of water to boil.
  • Throw two whole cloves into the boiling water and simmer for half an hour.
  • Allow the liquid to cool. While the water cools, rummage through your teetering mountain of smelly recyclables until you find that old witch hazel bottle from last month. Or, use a spare jar.
  • Remove the cloves. Pour the caramel-colored liquid in the smelly old bottle/shiny clean jar. 
  • Add with 15 - 20 drops of the essential oil of your choice. (I prefer peppermint with a dash of tea-tree.)
  • Cap the bottle/jar/receptacle and shake, shake, shake, senora!

oh really?

oh ye of little faith! it's easy and refreshing, though perishable. i'm still tweaking my recipe. next week, i'm going to experiment with fresh herbs and alcohol, two mainstays of your hippy youth. but for now, my teeth are shiny, clean and fresh.

coming soon: sourdough, seitan and an interview with my one and only oh dear mom! (that means you. prepare yourself!)

love always,

gina










No comments:

Post a Comment